In honor of the first lady of interior decoration, a roundup of witty quotations by the late, great Elsie de Wolfe (1865-1950)...
1. "I opened the doors and windows of America, and let in the air and sunshine."
2. "Good dressing is largely a question of detail and accessories."
3. "I believe in optimism and plenty of white paint!"
4. "No, I don't take soup. You can't build a meal on a lake."
5. "It's beige! My color!" -when she first beheld the Parthenon
6. "There never was a house so bad that it couldn’t be made into something worthwhile."
7. "I was born with the courage to live. Only those are unwise who have never dared to be fools."
8. "Be pretty if you can, be witty if you must, but be gracious if it kills you."
9. "Never complain, never explain." -motto she had embroidered on her taffeta pillows
10. "I am going to make everything around me beautiful. That will be my life."
Are we missing your favorite Elsie de Wolfe quote? Share it in the comments below!