American artist Andy Warhol (1928-1987) was nearly as famous for his witticisms as he was his paintings. In honor of the controversial pop art icon, a roundup of our favorite Warhol quotations...
1. "Don't pay attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches."
2. "Everybody must have a fantasy."
3. "I always say one's company, two's a crowd, and three's a party."
4. "In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes."
5. "It would be glamorous to be reincarnated as a great big ring on Liz Taylor's finger."
6. "I think that people never die. They just go to department stores."
7. "I have to go out every night. If I stay home one night I start spreading rumors to my dogs."
8. "I never fall apart because I never fall together."
9. "Publicity is like eating peanuts. Once you start you can't stop."
10. "My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person."
11. "Sometimes at parties I slip away to the bathroom just to see what colognes they've got."
12. "The idea is not to live forever, it is to create something that will."
13. "I believe in low lights and trick mirrors."
14. "I had a lot of dates, but I decided to stay home and dye my eyebrows."
15. "I am a deeply superficial person."
16. "People should fall in love with their eyes closed."
17. "I never wanted to be a painter; I wanted to be a tap dancer."
18. "Art is what you can get away with."
19. "Everyone winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight."
20. "They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
Did we forget your favorite Warhol quote? Share it in the comments below!
(photo by Arnold Newman)