In honor of the legendary French fashion designer born Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel (1883 – 1971), a roundup of our very favorite Coco quotations...
1. "Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door."
2. "A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous."
3. "I can't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little, if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny and it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny."
4. "How many cares one loses when one decides to to be something but to be someone."
5. "All men are children, and if you understand that, a woman understands everything."
6. "Gentleness doesn't get work done, unless you happen to be a hen laying eggs."
7. "It's not houses I love, it's the life I live in them."
8. "The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud."
9. "If I cut my hair, others did. If I shortened my dresses, so did everyone else."
10. "Elegance is when the inside is as beautiful as the outside."
11. "Great loves too must be endured."
12. "Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."
13. "There is time for work, and time for love. That leaves no other time."
14. "One cannot be forever innovating. I want to create classics."
15. "There are people who have money and people who are rich."
16. "To be irreplaceable, you must be different."
17. "You live but once; you might as well be amusing."
18. "I don't care what you think about me. I don't think about you at all."
19. "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future."
20. "Fashion changes--style remains."
(photo by Douglas Kirkland)