In honor of the tragic literary great, a roundup of cherished Sylvia Plath (1932-1963) quotations...
1. "Kiss me and you will see how important I am."
2. "And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."
3. "I love people. Everybody. I love them, I think, as a stamp collector loves his collection. Every story, every incident, every bit of conversation is raw material for me."
4. "Let me live, love and say it well in good sentences."
5. "I was supposed to be having the time of my life."
6. "There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them."
7. "Why can't I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which one fits me and is most becoming?"
8. "I must bridge the gap between adolescent glitter and mature glow."
9. "The hardest thing is to live richly in the present without letting it be tainted out of fear for the future or regret for the past."
10. "Life has been some combination of fairy-tale coincidence and joie de vivre and shocks of beauty together with some hurtful self-questioning."
11. "Marilyn Monroe appeared to me last night in a dream as a kind of fairy godmother...She gave me an expert manicure."
12. "What did my fingers do before they held him?"
13. "I too want to be important. By being different. And these girls are all the same."
14. "Perhaps some day I'll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow."
15. "I know pretty much what I like and dislike; but please, don't ask me who I am."
Do you have a favorite Sylvia Plath quote that we've missed? Share it in the comments below!