In honor of the king of witticisms, a roundup of our favorite Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) quotations. Some are taken from his written works and others from his sharp tongue...
1. "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
2. "You can never be overdressed or overeducated."
3. "I don't want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there."
4. "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
5. "Never love anyone who treats you like you're ordinary."
6. "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train."
7. "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
8. "It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it."
9. "A good friend will always stab you in the front."
10. "I can resist everything except temptation."
11. "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood."
12. "An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
13. "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."
14. "With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?"
15. "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."
16. "Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
17. "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing."
18. "If you are not long, I will wait for you all my life."
19. "Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast."
20. "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Do you have a favorite Oscar Wilde quote that we've missed? Feel free to share it in the comments below!
(photo via Huffington Post)